Half A Hook Size Makes The Difference

I have had a cardigan on the hook for some time, it was basically finished, all it needed was the front bands and some buttons and a bit of fancy footwork to finalize edges and such like. Simple really, and I had it all done but wasn’t really happy as I made the classical mistake of making the two front bands too late at night – as in – way too late.

The result of my late night adventure was two lovely puckering front bands, they were not really puckering much and perhaps not really enough for the untrained eye to spot, but I spotted it immediately the following morning. In classical fashion, I put the cardigan to one side for a few days… Don’t we all do that when we realize that ripping and reworking is needed?

This glorious sunny summer morning I took myself and my hook and my coffee out into the garden and set to work to rectify my error. I ripped and then worked the front bands on half a hook size bigger and if you look at the picture you will see the major difference this makes. The left side is worked on a size 5 mm and the right hand side is worked on a 4.5 mm hook. Another bit of ripping and re-working and there will be no more puckering, now it’s just for fixing ends and getting the buttons just right.  Amazing what a difference 0.5 mm can make!

Note: The cardigan is based on Liselotte Weller’s wonderful generic pattern called Klokkeblomst/Bellflower.


Flopsy Dahlia Sun Hat

I am born an optimist and I think making a sun hat these days proves that point to the full. It ain’t exactly sun we are gifted with in Ireland these days, nor is it heat. Nevertheless, I crochet this ladies sun hat, just because I could. I wanted to test the texture that a discreet bit of mesh would do on a hat and I think it works.

IMG_3516smallFlopsy Dahlia Sun Hat © Irene Lundgaard 2010

I have worked the hat in Cushendale 4ply on a size 4.5 mm hook. It’s worked top down and the floppy brim is worked on a size 3.5 mm hook to make it more rigid. I adorned it with a big fluffy Dahlia-like flower, just because I could. Well, as a matter of fact, it’s more like just because I couldn’t help myself…

Click on each thumbnail for larger view.

I have loaded a few more photos on Flickr which can be seen right here. Now I just hope that Met Éireann are right when they say that a high pressure is due later in the week. It might just, with a bit of optimistic luck, bring some sunshine and a reason to air the hat.

Note: If enough interest is shown in the hat, I will make up the pattern. Please drop me a message if you think I should make this pattern available.

IMG_3516smallFlower Flopsy Sun Hat © Irene Lundgaard 2010